Friday, September 3, 2010

Naming Violations

Patch 3.3.5

Thanks to a ReTweet by @mentalshaman, I saw this article:

Naming Violations in World of Warcraft

If you are generally someone who cares about how other people feel, this article is definitely worth the read. Something the article touched on that I believe was incredibly well put is a very valid defense for when people label those who wish to change the way things are on the internet as "too sensitive" or "ignorant to the way the internet just IS". I'm so sick of people online defending how they hurt others because "they can" since "it's the internet."

I'm so with Metaneira on this...

"Exposure to it doesn’t make it okay. And I fail to see why reacting to sexist, racist, homophobic language is somehow irrational or weak. Having an emotional reaction doesn’t shut off your ability to reason. Reacting to hate speech with anger, fear, or sadness doesn’t mean you can’t address the issue logically."

I mean, I'll admit it, I am no saint when it comes to how I interact with guildies on vent and in chat. And I will slip up from time to time and say a, "That's gay," every once in a while... It's a hard habit to break when I never learned why it was a bad thing to say until it was already embedded in my vocabulary. But, I hear it when I say it now and I readily ask if I offended anyone and apologize either way. I am trying to break my habit by replacing the phrase with something way more appropriate like, "That's shitty." Lol. (Or "That's poopie," depending on who I'm around.) :p

But I guess my point is: It is ignorant to allow the negative behavior to continue by being a part of it. So, go read that article if you haven't already and let me know what you think.

2 comments :

  1. The interwebs has open the floodgates for all kinds of sickos, degradeos and the simple idiot, how people talk to each other these days, its just either dont bother listening or just ignore and move on

    ReplyDelete
  2. @James Wragg - But the point of the article is NOT to ignore those idiots and REPORT them. Did you even read the article, James? /rasp

    ReplyDelete